We always welcome inquiries from strong researchers in distributed algorithms and cryptography, regarding our possible future recruitment efforts. We also have internship opportunities for PhD students.
RESEARCH AT WEB3 FOUNDATION
The Web3 Foundation nurtures and stewards technologies and applications for a privacy preserving and decentralized web. We work on a range of cryptographic and consensus protocols that have emerged as crucial building blocks of decentralized systems in general, and the Web3 ecosystem in particular. We are the opposite of a big data company.
Our core project at the moment is Polkadot, a protocol designed to connect blockchains and allow them to interoperate, share security, and more. In addition to that, we support the development of a number of technologies that form the Web 3.0 tech stack such as privacy technologies, decentralized messaging, and distributed storage or secret management.
We conduct cutting-edge research that is both theoretically exciting and expected to have a dramatic real world impact by helping to replace centralised infrastructure. We thus work closely with both academics as well as development teams to deploy components of large-scale distributed systems. We explore a remarkable array of research topics within our mandate to steward distributed technologies, including:
- Cryptographic protocols
- Consensus algorithms
- Game theory and mechanism design
- Censorship resistance
- Privacy technologies
Our diverse cryptographic research topics include
- Advanced signature schemes
- Distributed random number generation
- Zero-knowledge proofs and their optimizations
- Multiparty computation
- Deliver formal proofs of security guarantees and correctness
- Conduct innovative research into new distributed algorithms and cryptographic protocols
- Remain pragmatic through evaluation of alternatives and optimisations
- Work with and consult development teams to support the implementation of research results
- Deliver quality research papers along with good internal documentation
- Represent the Web3 Foundation at conferences and share technical information with the community
- PhD or masters degree in Mathematics, Theoretical Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent background
- Experience contributing to research communities that require mathematical rigor, preferably including proofs of security and correctness
- Experience designing cryptographic protocols or distributed algorithms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated innovation in cryptography or distributed algorithms
- Experience with blockchain technology
- Experience mentoring or creating technical documentation or blog posts
- Demonstrated ability to set and execute a research agenda
- Experience developing research collaborations and managing contractors
- Competitive compensation and employee benefits
- Regular company retreats at unique locations around Europe
- Opportunity to work on a diverse team of varied professional backgrounds (i.e. physics, computer science, algorithm design, legal, financial products, management consulting, marketing & advertising, etc.
To apply to this position, we ask you to answer a few questions in the application form, and to submit your CV and a cover letter, telling us a bit about yourself and your motivation to join us.
Web3 Foundation website: https://web3.foundation/
Web3 links: https://github.com/w3f/Web3-wiki
Polkadot website: https://polkadot.network/