Zug, Switzerland - full-time 100%
Are Web 2.0 laws fit for the next iteration of the internet? Let’s find out together. Working in the Legal & Government Affairs and Public Policy team of Web3 Foundation will provide you with the unique opportunity to help shape the legal framework governing the future of decentralised technologies.
Web3 Foundation accelerates the development and adoption of the decentralised web. We’re providing the framework and setting the standards for an ecosystem so that the most cutting-edge projects can work together, multiplying their benefit to society as a whole.
We’re building the future of identity, privacy, financial markets and commerce through blockchains and other cryptographic technologies. At the core of this work is Polkadot - a platform that enables blockchains of all kinds to interact and communicate with one another. This is an opportunity to work at the forefront of technological development and join in shaping the future of society for the better.
Web3 Foundation’s Legal & Government Affairs and Public Policy team is critical to delivering our mission in a thoughtful, compliant and timely manner, while securing our freedom to innovate. The successful candidate will join the team, and work closely with internal and external partners to achieve these goals.
We are a lean team with a flat organisation. Due to the nature of this position, we are only considering candidates who are able and willing to work from our office in Zug, Switzerland.
Web3 Foundation is searching for a legal counsel to drive and support on a wide range of challenging topics related to the decentralised technologies we are funding, as well as ensuring overall compliance within the regulatory framework for Swiss foundations. The core responsibilities will be:
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of documents and commercial contracts including, professional services agreements, internal policies, transactional contracts, vendor agreements, events- and sponsorship contracts, software development agreements and NDAs.
- Draft and work with processes to efficiently put in place framework contracts for provision of grants
- Prepare and manage other regulatory required documents related to the ongoing operations of a Swiss foundation
- Provide data protection advice (GDPR and Swiss law), e.g. to marketing and communications teams, within an ecosystem that sees the protection of personal data as one of the core pillars of its future development
- Provide strategic legal advice, counsel and support to Web3 Foundation leaders and council
- Manage contract admin tools
- Navigate and understand the Swiss, European and international legal landscape of new and emerging technologies
- Keep up to date with regulatory developments and apply existing Swiss, European and International laws and compliance standards to future technologies
- Swiss/EU Accredited lawyer (Master in Law, Swiss bar exam or similar accreditation from an EU member state)
- Minimum 4 years work experience as an in-house lawyer in a startup, corporate legal function and/or for startup clients within a Swiss or European law firm.
- Experience with contract negotiation and drafting.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, quickly learn and adapt to new subjects and legal topics
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable being self-directed, organised in your work and highly structured.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and deliver results in a cross-functional team and fast-paced working environment, with rapidly shifting priorities and needs
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written and communication skills in English, German is a plus
- Knowledge of and experience in financial markets regulation and securities law
- Experience with US and/or UK law firm
- LLM from a UK or US University
- Practical experience or a strong interest in the Web 3.0 movement, blockchain, decentralised technologies, open source, privacy-minded communities and related legal issues.
- Competitive compensation and employee benefits
- Company retreats at unique locations around Europe
- Opportunity to be part of an interdisciplinary team working on cutting edge technologies
- Flexible hybrid work (requirement to work 3-4 days per week in our office in Zug, Switzerland
For more information about us, visit us on: