The Web3 Foundation nurtures and stewards technologies and applications for the decentralized web. We collaborate with cutting-edge developer teams, researchers and community leaders to strengthen and extend the uses of decentralized technologies; building the future of identity, privacy, financial markets, commerce, and more.
Our core project at the moment is Polkadot, a protocol designed to connect blockchains and allow them to interoperate, share security and more. In addition, we are supporting the development of a number of technologies that form the Web 3.0 tech stack - such as decentralized messaging, distributed storage and secret management.
About the Role & Spec at Web3 Foundation
To encourage the adoption of our technologies and make the protocol accessible to other developers to re-implement and incorporate in their applications, as well as to increase transparency and auditability of the designed technologies/protocols, it is essential to maintain up-to-date specification of our technology stack. As part of the Spec team you will work closely with the Research team as well as developers implementing Web3 technologies and protocols.
We are a lean team with a flat organisation. You will be working closely together with team members in Zug, Switzerland and in remote locations, as well as with diverse service suppliers.
- Study documentation produced by the research team and engage with them to understand the protocol and algorithms.
- Turn protocol designed by the research team into implementable specification.
- Study and review code as well as write up specifications for those protocols by removing implementation details.
- Review and test implementations of specifications and inform implementers about the potential discrepancies between the code and the specification.
- Design and develop the Polkadot cross-implementation test suite to ensure network safety and performance
- Shepherd the standardisation process together with the community
- Support implementers in their development of Polkadot hosts and runtimes
- Solid Programming skills in one or more language, ideally Rust
- BSc or MSc in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Experience in writing specifications and technical documents.
- Experience contributing to open source projects and demonstrated familiarity with open source communities
- Knowledge and understanding of blockchain technologies and applications as well as the theoretical concepts behind it
- Experience in research and/or collaborating with researchers
- Formal Verification experience
- Competitive compensation and employee benefits
- Opportunity to become an expert in the latest blockchain technologies.
- The opportunity to relocate to Zug, Switzerland
- A remote-friendly environment with flexible working hours
- Regular team and company retreats at unique locations around Europe
- Opportunity to work in a multinational, high-performance team with diverse backgrounds (i.e. physics, computer science, machine-learning algorithm design, legal, financial products, management consulting etc.)
To apply to this position, we ask you to answer a few questions in the application form, and to submit your CV and a cover letter, telling us a bit about yourself and your motivation to join us.